Monday, October 30, 2017

Kenyasi Branch Open House







Dear family and friends,
 Another Monday here. Only one more week until transfer four! Which means that my sixth-month mark is soon! It is crazy to think that I have been living in Ghana for almost half a year. Before I know it I will be home. This week the rain pounded us every day. I am always so happy for the rain. One morning during companionship studies I told my companion that it is going to be an extremely good day. He asked me why and I told him because it is raining. He was shocked and said that it is was not going to be a good day because of the rain. All Ghanaians seem to hate the rain because it rains so much here. The moment it begins to rain the whole city shuts down. All shops and stores close, everyone goes home and there are no cars on the streets. Ghana turns into a literal ghost town. The only bad thing about the rain is that every time it rains the power goes out. And because our water is connected to a pump no electricity means no pump which means no water. So for three days this week, we had no water. We had to fetch water from a nearby well and haul it up four flights of stairs. The work here in Kenyasi has been much slower than my last area. The branch members are not involved in missionary work at all so basically we have to find and contact on our own no referrals. This past week we tried to change that. This past Saturday we had an open house at the chapel where we invited people to learn more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. The main focus of the activity was to have the members invite their friends and families to the event. The activity was powerful and a great success. We had a great showing and was able to contact many new people. But sadly not one member brought their friend. Despite that, we now have some more potential investigators to teach and follow up on this week. I have one more week here in Kenyasi until I will be transferred again. The area is considered part of Kumasi but it is way far. It is like Paradise Valley and Phoenix. In order to get to downtown, it takes one hour. Because it is so far we only go every other week when we get our subsistence to buy groceries and things. Plus, we have to walk all the way through the central market. Central Market is the largest open market in all of West Africa. it is absolutely insane. It is 5 times busier than Disneyland! Here in Kenyasi, I am in a two man apartment so I only see other missionaries once a week at district council if we don't go to town. There many areas like this in the mission. Where you are in the middle of the African bush. I have really enjoyed this area. It was a great week! Happy Halloween everyone, hope you all have a great week! 

Love, Elder Ordyna



The Great Bountiful Buokrom District

Kenyasi Branch Members (Harrison, Tetteh and Elder Buabin)

Elder Buabin's Last Sunday (The Mensah Family)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...