Monday, October 9, 2017

Dreadful Malaria




Dear Family and Friends,

Well... it has finally happened. I got struck with the dreadful plague of West Africa... Malaria

I was feeling completely fine at the beginning of this week but then Wednesday morning I woke up and was feeling absolutely terrible. Like I got ran over by a semi-truck and then as I was standing up I got ran over again. I called Sister Dearing (the mission nurse) and she told me that I needed to go to a clinic and get tested right away because Malaria is serious.

Malaria is a parasite that lives in female mosquitoes and when they bite you it enters into your blood. It tries to shut down your body so it can live inside of you. If left untreated a person could die in a matter of days. The mission gives a drug called Doxycycline to take that prevents us from getting Malaria but there is still a chance that a person taking the pill can still get it. 

Wednesday morning my companion and I headed over to the medical clinic in Kenyasi to get a blood test. The clinic was one of the scariest health places I have ever been to. There was dust everywhere, spiders in the windows and when we got there, there was a chicken running in the place! If you are sick in Ghana it is probably better for you to just stay home instead of going to the clinic. I had to go to the lab and get my blood drawn. Afterwards, I had to wait two hours for them to finish running the test and to know whether or not I had malaria. And sadly, after all of that time, I was positive for malaria. We finally left the clinic around noon and I slept for the rest of the day and pretty much for the rest of the week. Malaria is the most painful sickness that I have ever had. I had t take seven pills twice a day for three days. 

But gratefully as I am typing this letter I feeling completely better and have all of my strength back. I am cured of Malaria!

I look forward to this week and I continue to find joy in the work knowing that my sickness is behind me.

Hope all of you have a great week!

Love,

Elder Ordyna

Malaria Medication

Kenyasi Wellness Center


Kids at the Chapel that Always Made Us Feel Better

















2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on being admitted into the Celestial apartment. I am sure your mother will be surprised how neat and clean your apartment is. Residing in your room in Arizona (Commonly referred to as Purgatory) was a great start on your way to residing in your current Celestial apartment. Way to go!!!! Grandpa O

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy you have fully recovered from your bout with Malaria. We recognize the Lord's hand in your recovery. We are so proud of you Elder Ordyna. You are doing such a great work in Ghana. We love your attitude and your obedience on a daily basis. We smile as we read your emails to your parents. We can feel of your excitement and your enthusiasm for The Lord's work in that country. As you recognize, He desires each of the people you see to come back to Him and His Father. May you continue to be blessed for your efforts. Teach, teach, and teach the Gospel and move on if people are not interested in your message. You have so many people to invite. Grandma and I daily pray for you and every Thursday, in the upper rooms of the SLC Temple, the First Presidency and Quorum of the 12 also pray for you and your associates. We love you Elder. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...