Monday, October 23, 2017

Attack of the Bird and Secret Combinations


 Dear Family and Friends,
It is Monday once again. Time is really going by fast. It is already almost November. In the mission field it seems like each day is like a week and each week is a day. This week I have had plenty of experiences, both spiritual and funny. 

One night as we were climbing the stairs to our apartment (we stay on the third floor) we saw a bird sitting right in front of our security door. We have a huge metal door outside our main door for security reasons. We tried to shoo it away but it kept flying at us. After about thirty minutes of us trying to get it out of the stairwell and it constantly flying at us we gave up and thought that it would just leave on its own so, we hurried and entered our apartment before it could attack us again. But, when we went out the next morning the bird was still there in front of our door waiting for us! I told my companion we are ending this battle today. So I went inside and grabbed a mop and gave my companion a broom. Don't worry we didn't harm the bird. We used them to swing at the bird so it would stop attacking us and would go down the stairs. After another thirty minutes of swinging the broom and mop at the bird we were able to scare it all the way down the stairwell and out into the street. I think my companion is now traumatized from that experience. Because whenever we see a bird while proselyting he gets scared and swings his scripture bag at the bird. 

This week we also did plenty of teaching and finding people. But, most of the lessons were in Twi because my companion is from Ghana so he speaks the local language. I have learned a lot of Twi from him and I am able to say a lot of things,which has been very helpful in the work. This week we went to visit an investigator named Franklin and she told us that she is hesitant about the church because after we left our last lesson some men came to her and told her that she should stop meeting with us because what we were teaching her isn't true. Apparently multiple of my companions investigators in this area have told him this same thing. There is a secret combination in this area. People are going around and telling people not to listen to us. It has been a challenge to reassure Franklin. We told her that if she prays and asks God she will know for herself that the things we teach are true. Before the incident she told us that she would definately be coming to church on Sunday but sadly she didn't come. 

On a brighter note we have one investigator named IK that is doing super well. When my companion and I first met him he was only super drunk. He was really interested in the church but we couldn't teach him because he was drunk and didn't understand anything. So, everyday we would visit with him small and pray for him. This past fast sunday we fasted for him and a miracle has happened this past week. He told us that he has a desire to quit drinking and everytime we see him now he isn't drunk. He still hasn't completely stopped yet but he is doing much much better which is awesome. He even came to church yesterday and loved it. He told us that he wants to know more and will be coming to church every Sunday from here on! He is truly an awesome guy! 

This week was powerful and I hope to have another great week here in Ghana! I feel so blessed to be serving here in Ghana. As I read many of my friends emails that are serving in the states I realized that the work here in Ghana compared to back home is super different. I hope you all have a great week! 

Love,
Elder Ordyna

Kenyasi Apartment

Kenaysi High Street with a Tro-Tro Stuck in the Gutter (that is also the Sewer)


Kejetia Traffic (Downtown Kumasi)


Kejetia Traffic (Downtown Kumasi

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...