Monday, July 2, 2018

Out with the Old and in with the New (Mission President, that is)



Family and Friends,

This week sure has been a historic week that is for sure. Sadly, I saw the Cosgrave's leave the mission home and this mission. He was such a great example to all, and I have learned so many wonderful things from him. We had one last office council before he left and everyone brought food. It was an all-out party. I tasted caramel popcorn for the first time in over a year. Man, that stuff tastes way too good now. My tongue has changed a lot since I have been out which is kind of strange. I am not a fan of saltiness or sugar anymore, but I have noticed that my tongue has become numb to hotness now. You can give me the hottest hot sauce/pepper, and I won't even feel a thing. One night in the apartment we were having a competition to see who could drink the most sriracha sauce. I downed like five of those things without feeling anything. Back home one drop killed me. Ghanaian food is so plain but like a level 1,000 on the hot scale and that is out of 10. 




I was able to meet President Webster on Saturday. He is such a loving and kind man. As I shook hands with him, I knew that he was called of God to be the next mission president of this mission and is so ready to help this mission and each missionary to be the best that they can become. I will certainly miss the Cosgrave's, but the Websters are some really special people and are so prepared for the job. 



This week was such an enjoyable week in the missionary work department as well. We focused on less-actives again this week. We went with different members to their houses and helped them to come back to church. We met one guy name Elisa Addey. He had a broken leg, was living in a shack and even hadn't received salary from his work for a year. He hadn't come to church for like two years, and members haven't been to his house this whole time. He was completely forgotten by everyone. We talked to him and ultimately showed him love, the member I was with was super kind and even gave him transfer money to make it to church. I have learned that every person is different and have their own time frame on when they accept the gospel and come unto Jesus Christ. It is the same thing for less-actives. Not every less-active leaves the church for the same reason; each person has their reasons. And this past week we visited them and tried to figure out what each of their reasons is. As a result, this past Sunday was such a joyful day when we saw every less-active we were working show up to church. Each one was super happy to be back, and the members loved seeing them and welcomed them back with open arms.
Sister Mavis and Sunita

We also had two baptisms this past week Sister Mavis and Sunita. Sister Mavis was President Cosgrave's last baptismal interview while he was mission president. Both were so prepared and overwhelmingly happy to make that important step in their lives. That is one of the best things about mission is seeing this first hand.



I love all of you so much and hope all of you are letting your light so shine and being an example every day to everyone you meet. 

Love,

Elder Ordyna

preparing for the Mid-Transfer Training lunch




The Powerful Brethren of Daban

A member gave us dog

                                                                                     
Elder Dennis and Brother Bukari

 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...