Monday, August 7, 2017

What's for Lunch?


Lunch Anyone? You can order the Fresh Bushmeat Special

August 1-6 2017

Hello Friends and Family,

Time continues to zoom by! I can't believe it is already August. The work continues to go very well. Elder Speakman has 8 days left in Ghana!!

Tuesday - We met with two of our investigators Mary and Dorthy, they are very close to baptism. We just need to teach Mary the rest of the lessons and Dorthy needs to attend church. We are planning on baptizing Christina and Mary on Elder Speakmans last Sunday, which would be SWEET. We taught institute today.  It was very last minute and we had no idea what we were going to teach. I came up with the idea to teach the Plan of Salvation. Elder Speakman taught how the story of the Good Samaritan teaches the Plan of Salvation. To sum it up, the man that went down to Jericho symbolizes all of us coming to earth. While the man was traveling he was beat up by thieves, this symbolizes the temptations and trials we will have during our life here on Earth. The good Samaritan represents Jesus Christ. The injured man could not save himself just like we cannot cleanse ourselves of sin. The man needed to rely upon the Samaritan, similar to how we need to rely on Jesus Christ and His atonement to completely receive remission of sins and be forgiven.

Language - After we taught institute we went to a member's shop to buy eggs. I asked Janet (14 year old girl/shop owners daughter) for a full crate of eggs. Because of the accent and dialect differences she thought I said four eggs not a full crate. I asked again for a full crate of eggs and this time she brought back four full crates of eggs. My companion and I had a good laugh afterwards. It felt like I was in the movie The Best Two Years.

Wednesday Water Wars - We started our day out by stopping by a members drink shop. Sandra, another member, was there. It was Sandra's birthday so we had a massive water fight! Apparently it is a tradition in Ghana to soak people with water on their birthday. I guess Smingus Dingus is somewhat real here also.
We taught Christiana the last lesson. She continues to progress towards baptism. She is one of our baptisms scheduled for August 13th. It is amazing we are having so much success in an area that hasn't had a baptism since February. Apparently, Asuayeboa has been an extremely difficult area in the past. Elder Speakman and I continue to work hard and try our best and are grateful we have people to teach.

 Asuoyeboah Apartment interviews with President Cosgrave


Thursday -   Today Elder Johnson came to Asuayeboa and I went with Elder Oken to Abuakwa. It was nice to visit a different area for a day. Elder Okon is from Nigeria and is a really kind guy. All of our appointments were at different parts of his area so we had to walk a lot! I think it is the most I have walked in one day on my mission so far. While we were walking it began to pour rain. We had to take shelter for about 30 minutes or we would have been soaking wet. I had a great day in Abuakwa but I know that I am suppose to be in Asuayeboa right now. I need to work hard, love the people and help all in my area come unto Christ.
Side Note: I saw a girl with a pet monkey

Exchange with Elder Okon (Nigeria) in Abuakwa



The Outhouse We Would Pee in While Proselyting



























Saturday- Today we explored a new part of our area called Tamasa. We found some members and they gave us referrals! Hopefully our investigators will come to church tomorrow. If everyone of our investigators came to church we would have 18, a record for us. We are hoping for at least 8. It is very hard for people to come to church, especially here.  Everyone already belongs to their own church and has callings they need to do on Sundays.

Transfer Interview- I had my first transfer interview with Presidednt Cosgrave. We discussed how everything is going, I said "it is going GREAT!". He told me my next companion will most likely be someone with one transfer left, like Elder Speakman. He said by the end of my second transfer I will be an expert at sending missionaries home (hahah).  If this happens I will have three companions in my first three transfers. I am sure I will be blessed to learn from so many great missionaries.


Sunday- Today was a fantastic day. Our recent convert was confirmed and given the gift of the Holy Ghost. We had 6 of our investigators show up! Heavenly Father's work is moving forward, how grateful I am to be a part of it.  We stayed for ward choir, which still makes me laugh.  We went to visit an investigator that didn't make it to church. We ended up teaching her 19 year old sister. She asked us to stay and teach her before we had a chance to even say anything to her. When you are praying for missionaries to find those that are prepared to receive the gospel know that those prayers are answered everyday!  It really happens!

This week has been amazing. Thank you for the love and support you have shown me my first couple months in the mission. Time really does fly by when you are serving. I will miss my time with Elder Speakman, he has been a great first trainer.



Have a great week.
Love,
Elder Ordyna

Eating Banku at a members home for dinner

Pounding FuFu at a members home




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your faithful service. We love you and all missionaries. We are grateful you are finding those people who have the light of Christ and looking for the truth. We pray for your success always. Love, G.O. And G.O.

    ReplyDelete

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...