Monday, December 17, 2018

Beginning to Look Like Christmas - Dec. 11-17, 2018

Dec. 11-17, 2018 


MelcomGhana Supermarket in Kumasi


Afisha Pa!!! (Merry Christmas in Twi)

I can finally tell that Christmas is getting close around here because people are finally getting into the Christmas spirit. I saw my first Christmas tree so far this month and at all of the places, it could be it is at a Shell filling station. Stores are putting up small decorations and lights here and there. I am just really enjoying my last December out here in Ghana. 

Well... this week I have realized that I have become numb to a lot of things. I went on exchanges with a new missionary from the states that have been out for barely a month. It made me flashback to the time when I was a new missionary in training and everything was insane to me. It made me laugh every time he commented about something crazy that happened. I have enjoyed every moment of the past 18 months and look forward to my last 6. 

This week started off with an emergency trip out to Agona for district council. The district hasn't been doing well the past couple of weeks so we went out there to try to assess the situation and help them. We also went on splits with two companionships in the district. I went with Agona and my companion with Asamang. Both areas are straight bush and full of small villages. On my split with the Agona companionship, we went out to one small village named Jamasi. We had some serious success out there. These areas where the church is very small or not well known yet have serious success. They don't have any rumors or things about the church that are hindering the work like here in Kwamo. 

The church has been here for somewhat of a short time but long enough for rumors and things to really get around. Basically, everyone that we meet has two main viewpoints already about the church. 1) it is a cult or 2) it is a rich church and will give money to anyone for anything. It is hard when people right from the beginning don't want to even talk to us or hear anything from us because of the first and want to come for the wrong reasons because of the second. But, I have seen that the people that are willing to listen to us are almost always serious and recognize that the church is very very different than other churches around. There is so much Apostasy in Ghana it is absolutely insane. You can't walk one block without passing by a church. It seems to be a lot like the time period Joseph Smith was growing up in. A lot of confusion and every church saying they were right and everyone else is wrong. So, when people come to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for the first time they find what the other churches are missing and really see how Jesus Christ's Church is.

The gospel of Jesus Christ changes lives. It changes us from within and as we truly live the gospel we become more like Jesus Christ. It has been amazing being a first-person witness to the impact the gospel of Jesus Christ can have on someone. Continue to Light the World and remembering the true reason for the season: Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 

Love all of you so much.
Elder Ordyna


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...