Monday, November 12, 2018

Don't Go There!! I Didn't Go There!! - Nov 6-Nov 12

 Hey all!!


Another week has rapidly passed once again and that means that you get another update from Elder Ordyna. This week was definitely one to remember.

We focused majority of the week on preparing people for baptism. Kwamo is my only area so far on mission where my companion and I have never planned to contact because the members are constantly giving us referrals. As a result we had 8 baptisms this last week. It was so amazing to see each one of them enter the waters of baptism and then to be so happy afterwards. One of the men that we baptized told us after the baptism that he loves this church so much and will be his church until he dies. 

One of the men named Solomon has an amazing conversion story. I wasn't here when he met the missionaries only to finish his teaching and baptize him. But, he said that one day he was coming home from work and he hurt his foot on the way. Missionaries saw him and could tell that he was in some serious pain and offered to help him get home. They got ice blocks and some pain killer and then helped Solomon to his house. Since that day Solomon was interested in the missionaries and what they had to tell him. That very next Sunday he came to church for the very first time and has come every Sunday since and now is baptized. He absolutely loves the church and is planning to attend the temple at the end of this month during the ward temple trip.  

The title for my letter this week comes from one of the investigators we currently are meeting with named Mishak. For him he has been coming to church for months now and is seriously interested in our message. One of his biggest challenges is drinking alcohol. When we first started teaching him he was drinking every single day and we saw him drunk many times. He really wanted to change and we really wanted to help him change. A couple of weeks ago we had a lesson with him and we got a feel for his problem. We talked about repentance and the atonement and about how through Jesus Christ we can do all things and He can give us the strength to overcome our challenges and weaknesses. We told him to not go to the bar or as they call it in Ghana "spot".  DONT GO THERE!! This last week we met with him again and he said that he has been really praying and asking for God's help and hasn't drunk for two week s now! We told him DONT GO THERE and he said I DIDNT GO THERE. That is our little thing with him now. We say to him DONT GO THERE and he always says I DIDNT GO THERE!! Here is doing so great and preparing all that he can for baptism. 

I know that Jesus Christ lives. He truly is the son of God and through Him we can overcome any challenges that we have in this life. I am so grateful for the Atonement of Jesus Christ and know that it can truly change us and help us to become the people that God and Jesus Christ want us to become as we apply it in our lives. The Atonement of Jesus Christ can transform our lives and give us so much joy and happiness!!! I love you all and I love this gospel so much!! Sharing it with others everyday all day for almost the past year and a half has made me so happy. And I know that as we all live the gospel in our lives we can all have that same happiness and joy.

Love,
Elder Ordyna

Pictures 
Picture 1- Baptism
Picture 2- Me with Edward (a recent convert in Kwamo as well as my barber)
Picture 3- Look towards the center and you will see my picture. I am famous here in Kwamo!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...