Monday, December 11, 2017

Still More Funeral

KFC with the District (Sister Mbamfu, Elder Gbettie, Elder Buhler, Me, Elder Bamba)

Dear family and friends,

Well... the funeral is still going on. It is currently on Day 11 of 15. Luckily, it will end on Friday. We still had very limited proselyting time this past week and had to be in our apartment early or our heads would be gone. I definitely don't want my mission to come to an end too early so I am not risking anything. This week was definitely interesting as are all weeks here in Ghana. 

Monday evening we went to a member's home for Family Home Evening. They served us a meal of groundnut soup and fufu with a meat that I originally thought was beef and chicken. It was a powerful meal and I was very grateful for it. When the member came back into the room she asked us how we like it. I said that I loved it especially the meat. She said "Oh good! The meat was chicken intestine and cow testicle". I thought to myself the meat was what? I was a little disgusted at first but then I was like that is pretty cool. I can now mark two things off the bucket list. 

The next day we went to Dichemso for our Christmas Devotional. We received some wonderful instruction from the Assistants and President and Sister Cosgrave about unity and the love of Christ. We had a Christmas Dinner Ghana Style. With fried rice, chicken, squash and sugar cookies. It was powerful. After lunch, each zone did a skit and then a special Christmas musical number. It definitely got me into the Christmas spirit. #Lighttheworld campaign is still going strong! Recently, we have been sharing with members Helaman 14:3-8. It is about the signs of Jesus Christ's birth. The one that we focus on is when there was no darkness for three days. Jesus Christ is the Light of the World. Because of Jesus Christ, we all can be saved and live again. This Christmas time as we celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ I invite all of us to do things that will Light the World this Christmas season. 

On Thursday we received a third companion. Elder Lephoyo was serving in Krofrom but then his trainer finished his mission and went home before the end of the transfer. So he has joined us here in Kenyasi until the end of the transfer. It has been new to me to be with two companions but now I can say that I have officially had more companions than transfers so far. 5 companions in four transfers. 
Harmattan is in full force here in Kumasi. It is a lot worse than I thought it would be. It is a thick blanket of dust 24/7. When you look out to the horizon it looks foggy but really it is just the dust. Sometimes it gets so bad that no airplanes can take off or land at the airport because of the thick dust. It reminds me of the dust storms back in Arizona. The air has turned really dry as well. Ghana is turning into Arizona which has been nice. 

Christmas is definitely not the same here in Ghana. It is the middle of December and there are no lights, no Christmas trees, and NO CHRISTMAS MUSIC. It feels like Christmas isn't even in two weeks. But, as a mission, we have a lot of fun things planned for Christmas. We will go caroling as a zone and then we will have Christmas dinner as a district. And of course, I will be able to call home!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful week lighting the world! #Lighttheworld

Love,
Elder Ordyna

PS- Sorry no pictures this week! I will definitely send some next week!  Today one of my recent converts washed my clothes for me! He is 13 and was baptized this past Saturday. He is a sweet boy! Sadly he was playing with my camera and accidentally deleted all of my pictures from his baptism and the week. 

Kenya'sı Village Kids that Loved Us

Contacting while Playing some Ball

Me with Sister Jennifer (Member who Sold Drinks Beneath our Apartment)















No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...