Monday, November 27, 2017

Thanksgiving Ghana Style


First Thanksgiving Ghana Style 


Dear family and friends,
Hope everyone had a sweet Thanksgiving and ate plenty of Turkey.

This week was full of Ghanaians favorite two English sayings "I'm Coming" and "If God Permits". No matter what you ask them they will say I am coming. You ask them to church and they will say I'm coming. You ask them to an activity or program they will say I'm coming. Or if you ask them to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it, they will say I will. We met with plenty of people this week and all of them told us that they would come to church on Sunday. When it came to Sunday hardly any of them showed up. We had another seven at church yesterday but with everyone that told us they would come there should have been close to 20. Another thing that Ghanaians love to say is I will come if God permits. We ask the members if we will see them at church and they will say if God permits. Many people here when you ask them to do anything they say they will do it only if God permits. They won't give you a yes or no answer. It can be very frustrating at times because you have no idea if they will actually show up or not. As a missionary when they say that you just hope and have faith that they will come.

Exchange with Elder Buhler - Thanksgiving 

This week on Friday I was able to go on companion exchanges with the other American in my district. His name is Elder Buhler and he is a brand new missionary. We had a great time together. After we were done proselyting for the day we went to one of my members' homes who said that he had a friend who sells fried turkey. We decided to go and buy one for Thanksgiving dinner together. We walked down to the farm and talked with the farmer and he wanted 350 cedis for the male and 250 for the female. We said forget that and instead went down to a guy grilling chicken on the street and bought a full roasted chicken for 15 cedis. It was totally worth it. We brought the chicken back to my apartment and had it with rice, stew, and coke. That was our humble Thanksgiving Ghana Style. 

Dichemso Zone Activity 

My time here in Ghana has been sweet and flying by so fast. It is almost December which means CHRISTMAS TIME!!!! Which almost means that I have been on a mission for six months! It has gone by super fast. 
I hope everyone has a great week!
Love,
Elder Ordyna


Futbol - Zone Activity 
Time for a Haircut (Done by Elder Ellett)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...