Monday, April 23, 2018

The Grand Durbar




Family and friends,
Daban District Motto: Missionary Work is "Daban"! with Brother Francis (member and groundskeeper of the mission home)

This week in the office was great. We didn't have a lot of office work to do so we were able to go out and proselyte the most that we have been able to this whole transfer. It was seriously great because we have a lot of people we are preparing for baptism and we needed to finish teaching and go over some final things with them. On May 5 we are planning to baptize 6 of our people. Mary and her brother Kenneth, another Mary, Phillipa, Jessica, and Sharron.

We went to all of them this past week, and all have told us that they can't wait and are still doing all they can to prepare for their special day. I love baptism days out here!  The spirit is strong, and it makes me happy to see people take such an important step in their lives.


This was also the last week of the transfer, so all us missionaries were anxiously waiting for our transfer news. The last week of the transfers are the craziest ones out here. This past weekend I got my transfer news. My companion and I are both staying put here in the office and Daban. 

I am really looking forward to this next step in my mission and am so happy to be here in Kumasi. I am so grateful every day to be a missionary and for the opportunity that I have to serve in this mission. Time is going so fast, and it is almost already half over. I am happy I have been able to be an instrument in the Lord's hand to bring many people to the restored gospel and help many people. I wouldn't regret it at all. All of the people out here are so kind and being a missionary is absolutely amazing!!



Small girl in the middle (Phillipa) is preparing for baptism

Daban Apartment



On a cultural note, today my companion and I were in the office working on some things, and one of the security guards came down to give us some mail for President Cosgrave that was from the chief of Daban. It was written out to the Head Pastor of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. President Cosgrave opened it, and it was an invitation to a Grand Durbar here in Kumasi. A Grand Durbar is where all of the town and village chiefs come together and have a huge when I say huge I mean huge, gathering. It is an all-out party with dancing, food, and drinking. The main purpose of the event is to have all of the wizards and juju men perform their best rituals and things for people. It happens about twice a year and is basically is just a juju men party. It sounds pretty scary to me so I will not be going anywhere near that one.



I love you all and hope all of you continue to enjoy life and count your many blessings the Lord has given you.


Love,
Elder Ordyna




Elder Moak and I helped our land lady spray weeds 




                                                                                    

Investigators preparing for baptism (sister mary and brother kenneth)


Companion and I preparing fufu




Teaching 9 year old Phillipa with DVD player







No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...