Monday, March 25, 2019

Ending of 'The Town' Chronicles - March 19-25, 2019

Yup, I am finally leaving The Town which means all of the chronicles of Nkawkaw will end now as well. Even after three months in this place, Nkawkaw ceases to surprise me every day with new shenanigans everywhere we go. And this last week was absolutely no different. 

Wednesday was quite a day for us. My companion and I focused on some less-actives that the branch is wanting us to bring back. It was a follow up visit from the Sunday before. Last Sunday we had branch council meeting and we began talking about this family. Basically to keep the story short the family had been insulted by some of the branch members and now they haven't been coming to church for over a year. Everyone elected the member (Brother Joe) that insulted them to go and talk with them and help them to come back to church. I, myself, didn't really think that was such a good idea but the whole meeting was in Twi and I didn't know what was going on until afterwards. Well apparently during the meeting they also asked Brother Joe to choose someone to go with him so he wouldn't be alone. And out of nowhere he chooses me and my companion to go on this special ops mission to this family's house. Let me just say the family was seriously not happy to see Brother Joe at all. They instantly ran inside their house and wouldn't come back. At this point Brother Joe was angry and just frustrated and he just left us there. Before we knew it he was gone and now we were stuck in the middle of this whole situation. Basically a giant civil war ripping the branch apart and now the members are leaving it all up to us the missionaries to get this family back to church. But, we were able to make some progress with them. The oldest daughter actually came to church yesterday which was great. Less-actives is a huge problem out here a lot of people don't care about doing ministering or just even being nice to others. So that is one thing that is really halting the work out here. We will baptize someone and then noone will befriend them and they will feel lonely and over time will decide to leave the church and then start going back to their other churches. We are doing our best to try and find the lost sheep but without the members help it is an ongoing task that will last forever.

The church out here reminds me a lot about the church the Apostle Paul was dealing with during his times. I have studied a lot about his epistles while I have been out here and a lot of them talk about how he is helping all of the members adjust to the gospel culture, to take away all of their old customs and traditions that they would do in their other churches and religions. That is exactly how it is over here. People are bringing in completely crazy things into the church that they were used to in their other churches and the leaders of the branches and districts out here are doing their best to weed out the apostasy and country culture that is tying down a lot of members from truly being converted and living the true and pure gospel culture. It is always a lot of hard work helping recent converts to adjust to the gospel after years and years at other churches that are so different from the Restored Gospel but we also have a lot of laughs about everything as well. Like yesterday at our main session of district conference there was a choir from one of the branches in the district. The branch hired a musician from another church to help them sing and play the piano for them. He completely put in some crazy stuff and the choir was up there in the middle of district conference dancing and singing hallelujah's and Praise the Lord like a Southern Baptist church. And then at the end of it the audience was clapping and shouting small as well. It was definitely a great moment for sure. President Webster (my mission president and presiding officer) didn't look too excited or happy about the whole situation. Everyday I have a lot of fun and share a lot of laughs with my companion. It is a true blessing to serve here in Ghana where the church is at the pioneer level and the foundation is building. I absolutely love everything about this place!

On Wednesday I have the wonderful pleasure to walk in the mission home doors to pick up my new companion which will be coming straight from the MTC in Accra. It will be the best last 12 weeks ever. I will still be in Konongo Zone but headed one hour up the road to a town called Konongo. I have been there many times on exchange and know the place very well. It has some super powerful members backed with a lot of baptisms. I will definitely enjoy and will share more detailed information about my last area next week. I rejoice in the glorious message of the Restored Gospel and thank Heavenly Father everyday for the knowledge that I have of it and this pleasure that I have to share it with others every single day. I love you all and bid you farewell till next week.

Love you all,
Elder Ordyna


The Eminem District (N&M District- Nkawkaw and Mpraeso)

With members from Nkawkaw Branch 2 after Nkawkaw District Conference

Investigators Chico and Reuben's Chicken Farm

Sister Webster with a member with a church dress at the Nkakwaw District Conference


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wedding Funerals and Other Fun Stuff - June 10, 2019

Hey all, This could possibly be my last email home from Ghana! Not sure if I will have much time next week. I am trying to figure ou...